What to do if I have gotten into an auto accident without insurance?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have gotten into an auto accident without insurance?

Now the debt collection agency is asking for $11,000. I do not have that kind of money since I’m an international student on student loans and no SSN. What happens if I don’t pay the money? I know of many situations in which international students without SSN have done the same, and gotten away with no consequences.

Asked on June 3, 2014 under Accident Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are sued and lose and there is a judgment against you and you do not pay it:

1) you will have a judgment on your credit record, which can affect borrowing and getting a job (many employers check credit records); it may also affect renting an apartment or home;

2) you salary or wages can be garnished (have money taken from your paycheck);

3) a bank account can have money taken out of it;

4) valuable personal propety can potentially be seized and sold (like a car);

5) real estate can have lien put on it.


Obviously, if you already have significant debt, little or no assets, and little or no income right now, then they can't get anything from you (though your credit can be damaged). A judgment remains valid for many years, however, and if you later get a job, have assets, etc., they can try to come after you at that time if you stay in this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption