What are my rights if I have full time care, custody and control of minor child and want to relocate to another state?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I have full time care, custody and control of minor child and want to relocate to another state?

Mother is granted state standard visitation schedule. I wish to relocate to another state. I have sent letter of relocation to her, she does not intend to file an objection, but demands she keeps her visitation the same. However she has never followed the schedule exact. She has no driver’s license and lives in a different place constantly. She receives SSI payments so does not have to pay child support or cover any expenses for child healthcare or any. I have been nice enough to provide all transportation requiring her to least pay gas charges to do so. However, my vehicle is run-down and I borrow my moms to do so. I have strained myself to my limits trying to help her.

Asked on June 29, 2015 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

As you are probably aware, since a custody order is in place you will need to get the court's consent for your move. If you do so without its permission, you will be in contempt of a court and you could be charged with parental kidnapping.

With out of state moves, the burden in convincing the court to allow it is on the party seeking who wants to move. In making its determination, the court will look at the "best interests of the child". In doing so it will consider such factors as the reason for leaving; the motivation of the objecting parent; the advantages/disadvantages of relocation on the life of the child, the likelihood that a reasonable visitation schedule can be arranged for the non-custodial parent, and things of that  nature. The fact is that, a parent who requests a move to another state because of a new spouse or a job will have a stronger case than a parent who wants to move simply to get away from the non-custodial parent.

At this point, you need to consult directly with a lawyer who specializes in child custody cases. They can best advise you further.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption