If-I have filed my divorce papers andmy ex wife wants to make more changes to papers, is this legal?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If-I have filed my divorce papers andmy ex wife wants to make more changes to papers, is this legal?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question regarding changes made to divorce documents and the legal ramifications to making those changes.  Divorce matters are family law matters and as such are governed by state law and can vary state to state.  The state where you filed the divorce will govern the rules and procedures for your divorce.  That being said, there are some common factors throughout all states regarding divorce decrees and divorces in general.

When a judge creates or approves a divorce decree he or she will ensure that both parties have a complete understanding of the terms of the decree.  A divorce decree is a legal enforceable contract.  If a party were to breach a term of the divorce decree, there would be legal ramifications for the breach, including contempt of court.  Before ordering the divorce decree, the judge will usually take the time to ensure the parties either by themselves, or through the assistance of their attorneys, understand the terms of the decree and what they are agreeing to do or not to do.

If a party attempts to change parts of a divorce decree and the other party did not agree to those changes, this would essentially be fraud.  This would be fraudulent manipulation of a legal document.  The party would be making changes to a legally binding document and attempting to have the court believe that the other party agreed to the term that the party never actually agreed to.  If this is the case, you need to bring this matter to the court’s attention immediately.  If you need further assistance, contact a family law attorney in your area to assist you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption