What to do if I have custody of my 9 year old daughter and I filed papers to leave the state but the father protested it>

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have custody of my 9 year old daughter and I filed papers to leave the state but the father protested it>

We had a court date and we both missed it. It was rescheduled for 4 months from now but I need to leave this month. Can I still leave since I filed the papers and just come back with her for court later?

Asked on January 3, 2013 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given what you have written I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in your matter. I caution you from leaving the state before the pending hearing. I defer to the family law attorney that I suggest you consult with about moving out of state now with your daughter.

Perhaps the attorney suggested that you consult with can file a petition to advance the hearing date of the matter that you have written about which is four (4) months down the line?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption