What can be done about racial discrimination at work?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done about racial discrimination at work?

I have been working for a company for over 2 years, I’ve been a full-time lead supervisor for over a year now; the company manager changed in that year when I got promoted. I was told I’d be full-time but now they are cutting my hours from 40 to 25 a week. However, the only problem is they are picking only a certain race. Approximately 96% of the company is one race and the people who aren’t that race are having their hours cut. It is very, very obvious.

Asked on October 30, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

IF it is race-based discrimination, that is illegal, and may beentitled to compensation. The statistics you cite strongly suggest racial discrimination, and may be enough to make out a "prima facie" (basically, on its face or surface) case. If so, then the burden would shift to your employer to show that there is a non-racial reason for cutting your hours, such as performance problems, insubordination, a non-racial conflict with a supervisor, client or customer complaints, etc. d on what you write, it would be worthwhile for you to contact your state equal/civil rights agency or the federal EEOC to look into filing a complaint; alternately, you could speak with a private employment law attorney about filing a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption