I have been separated from my husband for a little over a year, i’m i still considered married?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have been separated from my husband for a little over a year, i’m i still considered married?

I was married for 12 years before separating from my husband. I ha a green card for ten years but its now going to expire and I would like to apply for citizenship.
When I looked at the forms, their is a part where they ask about your spouse and I’m not sure if I have to fill out that part. And if I had to, I can’t get that information now given that we are not together anymore.

My Question is, how can I go about this?

Asked on April 4, 2018 under Immigration Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Separation does not dissolve a marriage. You remain married until you and he are divorced; or the marriage is annuled (assuming there were grounds for annulment); or one of you dies (or is declared dead). Speak to an immigration attorney about what to do in your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption