If I have been renting a home for 4 years, when I move out who has to pay for the carpets?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have been renting a home for 4 years, when I move out who has to pay for the carpets?

The landlord has not cleaned the carpets in all the years I have been living there.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. To answer your question, read the presumed written lease that you have for your rental in that it sets forth the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

Possibly the presumed written lease has language regarding the carpet question you are writing about. If it does not, then your landlord is obligated for cleaning the carpet unless you have damaged the carpets beyond normal wear and tear (normal use).

Typically, the depreciation guidelines for a carpet is seven years under IRS guidelines.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption