What can I do if I have been renting a condo for 2 years from a friend of mine but now the condo board wants me to vacate?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I have been renting a condo for 2 years from a friend of mine but now the condo board wants me to vacate?

The Condo committee has informed her that they do not want renters in their community. They have told her that I am to vacate the property. I had a verbal agreement with my friend that I could stay there for 5 year. Do I have alternative?

Asked on December 4, 2015 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the condo committee has the authority under the documents creating the condominium and subject to which your friend purchased the condo (e.g. any deeds or master deed) to ban renters, then they can do this. If your friend does not remove you as renter in that case, she could be fined or the condo could try to take other legal action against her. Since you are on an oral (also often called a verbal--though oral is the better term) lease, you are a month to month tenant and your friend can give you notice terminating your tenancy--there is simply no such thing as a five-year oral or verbal lease (to have a five-year lease, it would have had to have been in writing). Therefore, you can be required to leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption