If I have been married for 6 months and now my wife wants a divorce, will I have to give her half of what I own?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have been married for 6 months and now my wife wants a divorce, will I have to give her half of what I own?

She is the mother of our 2 minor children and wants half of everything that I own.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Arizona is a community property state.  That means that your wife is entitled to half of everything you aquired since the date of your marriage.  Anything you owned prior to the marriage, if you can clearly establish that it was your separate property prior to the marriage, will remain your separate property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption