What are my rights if Ihave been married for 4 months and learned that my husband has been cheating I no longer want to be with him?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if Ihave been married for 4 months and learned that my husband has been cheating I no longer want to be with him?

He has 4 cars under my business name and pays all of the bills. What am I entitled to if we have no kids together?

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Family Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

For any sort of a definitive answer, you need to consult with a family or matrimonial law attorney--every situation is different and depends on the facts.

As a general principal, to give you some idea: you will probably each take out of the marriage any money or assets you brought into it, especially when the marriage is so short. Assets purchased during marriage will divided, probably more or less equally. Given how short a time you have been  married, there is a good chance that either neither of you will owe the other ongoing support (since the other has not had time to have their lifestyle become dependent on the spouse's income), or at least have it only be a for short time and/or small amount. You don't mention children, but if there are, they would likely be owed support by the non-custodial parent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption