How should I take care of an out of state bench warrant?have been living Texas for the past 5 years.

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should I take care of an out of state bench warrant?have been living Texas for the past 5 years.

The night I moved to another state 5 years ago, I got my first and only DUI. Since I have not been back.

Asked on June 27, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The problem will not go away until you go back in front of the judge where the warrant was issueD and get it vacated. Hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to arrange your voluntary surrender. You run the risk of spending significantly more time in jail if you are pulled over for any reason and they learn of the out of state warrant. You are looking at possibly 30 days in jail awaiting extradition. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption