I have been living and paying expenses in my boyfriends house for two years. I’m moving out.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have been living and paying expenses in my boyfriends house for two years. I’m moving out.

Can he just put me out with no warning? Or do I have 30 days?

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Family Law, Tennessee


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes he can put you out as you have no lease or other entitlement to be there. Rather, you have a license only (i.e. permission that can be revoked at anytime). He should however, be courteous and permit you time to locate a new place to live.  You may be able to argue that he has to go through the eviction process in court since you are a squater and have rights, which will take over 60 days from start to finish and therefore, he should allow you the 30 days.  I think that you can make a good argument that you are co-habitating and have a right to notice and that he has to give you 30 days.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption