What will happen to me if I have been given a summons to appear in court for contributing to the delinquency of a minor?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen to me if I have been given a summons to appear in court for contributing to the delinquency of a minor?

I have never committed a crime in my life (until now) and have never been to court. I am 18 and was in the back seat of a car with a 14 year old not doing anything, just talking on church property at night. She had snuck out to the church that night and had told me she was 16. A police officer pulled up and called the 14 year olds dad and he took her home. The officer then gave me a summons to appear in court.

Asked on October 29, 2011 under Criminal Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately in this situation, you were 18 and it would have been illegal if she had been 16 as well. You are 18 and considered an adult and should have simply declined her invitation. At this point, you need to hire an attorney who can somehow fix this so that you would not be in deeper trouble. Sometimes crimes like these are strict liability of sorts -- i.e, it makes no difference if you thought she was older. The fact she wasn't is oftentimes sufficient to make you liable. So talk to the attorney and see if you can either get a dismissal or a deferred conviction so you can have an option to have this expunged from your record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption