If I have been given a divorce settlement from my ex- wife but don’t have an attorney, what should I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have been given a divorce settlement from my ex- wife but don’t have an attorney, what should I do?

We had 2 children who live with my ex-wife. She makes $8000 per month; I make 4500 per month. She’s asking for $1250 per month $650 child support and $600 for child care. I did not ask for alimony. Should I? My former attorney will not respond to me. He has my file.

Asked on June 24, 2017 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since children are involved, you really should have legal representation. If money is an issue, check to see whether or not you qualify for representation by Legal Aid or see if there is a law school nearby to where you live as most of them run free/low cost clinics. Also, you can contact your county/state bar association as some have lists of attorneys who will take divorce cases for a reduced fee based on a client's income. Finally, you can contact the Department of Social Services as they may be able to refer you to inexpensive legal services. If money is not an issue, then retain another lawyer to represent. This settlment will effect your life for sometime to come.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption