If I have asked for a divorce but my husband is delaying, will I be responsible for medical procedures he wants to have done prior to signing?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have asked for a divorce but my husband is delaying, will I be responsible for medical procedures he wants to have done prior to signing?

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Texas is a community property state, and follows many of the same ideas with regard to debts.  This means that if he racks up a big medical bill while you are still married, then yes, you could still be held liable for the debt after your divorce.  He may try to tell you that he'll take the debt in the divorce-- but a creditor later will not be persuaded to let you off the hook.  Even if the court orders him to pay the debt, any creditors can still come after you to collect on the debt because they were not a party to the divorce, and as such have a right to collect from you as well.

Bottom line.... you don't need his permission to file.  When you file won't affect when or how he will have this medical procedure done.  Texas is a no-fault divorce state which means you can file just because you no longer want to be married.  So file for divorce and try to get it finalized before he has this procedure.  If you don't want to be on the hook for the bill... this is the only want to securely avoid liability for that debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption