What to do if f I have an online business and would donate 20% of the retail price on each order to charity?

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if f I have an online business and would donate 20% of the retail price on each order to charity?

Do I take that donation before tax or after tax and is that 20% donation considered taxable income for me? Do I include the 20% donation as my gross income?

Asked on July 2, 2014 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It's part of the business's gross income, and then will reduce that income to a lower net for taxable purposes, similar to charitable giving by an individual. Since the exact impact on you and your business will depend on a number of factors, including the business structure (e.g. a sole proprietorship? an LLC? a corporation--and if a corporation, a sub-C or sub-S?) and number of owners, you should consult with an accountant about  the exact impact and how maximize the gain to you while help charities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption