What is our recourse if I have an employee who has misused a company business card for personal use?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is our recourse if I have an employee who has misused a company business card for personal use?

My administrator of personal has used company credit card to order personal items to her house through Amazon.com. for a total of $3.800. We have records of all the purchases and shipments showing it being delivered to her house. How can we legally retrieve our money back and terminate?

Asked on May 25, 2019 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) You can and should terminate her immediately. Stealing from the company--and that's what she did, in spending company money for her own purcahses--is always grounds for termination "for cause" (no eligibility for unemployment benefits).
2) You can sue her for the money she stole--that is one way to get the money back.
3) You could also press charges for theft against her: she may agree to repay the money she took as part of her sentence, in order to avoid or reduce jail time or other punishments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption