If I have a utilitycompany thatwants me to sign an easment to put an electric line on my property, what happens if I don’t sign?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a utilitycompany thatwants me to sign an easment to put an electric line on my property, what happens if I don’t sign?

They already have a line on the highway. They will have to cut down some old oak treas and some walnut. They say it will be more convenient to use my land.

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is no easy answer. Easements are sometimes created by necessity--because a party needs an easement, either for its own use (e.g. a "land-locked" neighbor who  needs to pass over your land to reach his/her own), or for the public good. In addition, state or local law may give utilities the right to pass over or use your land when necessary.

The best thing to do is to contact experienced real estate counsel, and have the attorney review the situation and the proposed easement with you. The laywer can let you know whether you have grounds to refuse access--or perhaps simply have leverage and an opportunity to negotiate some payment (or better payment, if you've already been offered something) for the easement. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption