What can happen ifI have outstanding warrants for my arrest?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen ifI have outstanding warrants for my arrest?

I have an active felony warrant in IA and 2 misdemeanor warrants in NE. I have moved out-of-state. What will happen if I apply for a job, go to get a passport, or get pulled over?

Asked on November 10, 2010 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You didn't give much by way of details.  However, one thing is for sure, do not ignore this situation. If you are stopped for something even as minor as jaywalking you will be taken into custody (and probably extradited back to IA on the felony warrant).  Additionally, this will all turn up on an employment background check and on a security check with respect to obtaining a passport.  This is true no matter what state that you are now living in.  You will need to appear in court in both states.  The fact is that you are in serious trouble and need to seek legal counsel ASAP.  A skilled criminal defense attorney will best be able to represent your rights. Since you will be facing charges in both states, you will need to hire attorneys in each one.

If money is an issue, see if you qualify under the income guidelines for the Public Defender or Legal Aid.  If not see if they can recommend an attorney that may take the case "pro bono" (that is for free); many will volunteer their time for cases such as this.  Also, if there is a law school nearby to the court where the warrants were issued and check to see if they run a free/low cost clinic; typically they do. Also, contact the local Bar Association in the applicable county; they may have a list of attorneys who will take your case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on your income/circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption