Can we be made to move if our grandchild mkes too much noise?

UPDATED: May 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we be made to move if our grandchild mkes too much noise?

I have an 18 month-old grand child and we reside above another tenant. Instead of walking she runs creating a lot of noise.

Asked on May 25, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is really not a cut and dry case to give guidance on.  You have rights as do your tenants below you. And kids make noise.  That is the bottom line.  If she is a legal tenant - meaning that you rented and the landlord knew she lived with you - then you need to do some stuff to lower the noise below.  This could be as simple as putting down some rugs or limiting your grandchild to a certain space - not confining her but limiting her - at certain times.  Like maybe to the living room in the early mornings so that the playing does not disturb the tenant below while they sleep, etc. You need to take "mitigating" measures. As long as you are cognizant and take steps to reduce the noise and disturbance then you should be fine.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption