If I have an 11 year old warrant that I would like to try to get cleared up, what is the best way to approach the court to work out a resolution?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have an 11 year old warrant that I would like to try to get cleared up, what is the best way to approach the court to work out a resolution?

I plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of frequenting a place where drugs are known to be used or sold and possesion of paraphernalia. I was sentenced to 28 days in jail but never reported to jail, as I was residing in another state at the time. It’s not been an issue but I would like to try and work out a mutually fair resolution with the court to get this warrant resolved. I am still living in another state, have a job and a good life here. I really don’t want to give this all up to do 28 days in jail in a state that is 400 miles away on a charge that is 11 years old, however I also would like to get it cleared up with courts. What would ypu recommend I do to try and get this resolved?

Asked on March 22, 2018 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

First of all, you will need to travel back to the state that the warrant was issued in and appear personally in front of a judge. Since warrants don't expire, you can be picked up on this at anytime, even for something as simple as being stopped for a speeding ticket. So you are wise in your decision to take care of this situation ASAP; it is far better to appear in court voluntarily as oppossed to courtesy of the jail bus. At this point, you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney who practices in the jurisdiction in question; they can best advise you further and possibly use their local court contacts to your best advantage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption