If I have a writ of summons for a court date regarding a debt to a hospital that I cannot afford, should I appear?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a writ of summons for a court date regarding a debt to a hospital that I cannot afford, should I appear?

The court date is 7 days away. I contacted the lawyers representing the hospital and they could not tell me much. The total amount owed is about $1,300 but I don’t have anything extra right now. The structured payments ($275 for 5 months) would satisfy the debt and therefore cancel the court date but I don’t have even close to that. What should I do? What are the consequences if I don’t go?

Asked on January 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to attend the court date under the summons that was served upon you. If you fail to do so, most likely a default and default judgment will be entered against you. I suggest you attend the hearing and try your best to try and enter some settlement agreement where you pay the $1,300 over a longer period of time, for example 10 months or so.

If a default judgment is entered against you, the judgment creditor will then most likely try and levy upon your assets or garnish your wages if you cannot reach some sort of a monthly payment plan with the hospital.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption