If I have a warrent for my secondDUI, how do I take care of this and can I still get a public defender?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a warrent for my secondDUI, how do I take care of this and can I still get a public defender?

I missed my court date and need to take care of it SAP. I have mediation for my son in 2weeks and cannot go if I don’t take care of my warrants. I also have a driving on a suspended licence charge from 5 years ago that just recently came up in the system and wasn’t there when I tried to take care of it 5 years ago.

Asked on January 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a warrant for your arrest due to your failure to attend a criminal court matter, you need to have the warrant recalled as soon as possible or risk an arrest with jail time pending the posting of a bond. I suggest that you consult with an attorney to have the warrant recalled and the ways to do so.

If you cannot afford one, I suggest that you go to the public defender's office about the situation you are writing about to see if you qualify for one or appointment by the court of private counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption