I have a warrant that is 16 yes old is it valid

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a warrant that is 16 yes old is it valid

In 2000 November 11th
there was a arrest
warrant issue for me and
I did not know about it
until July 3rd 2016 when
I got arrested for 2
misdemeanor partner
family member assault
charges is the warrant
still valid you know she
got a hold of me for
years ago and we have
no contact for that

Asked on August 5, 2016 under Criminal Law, Montana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Warrants do not expire. Therefore, yours will remain active until you go back to the court that issued it and appear before a judge. At that point, you will need to handle not only the warrant but also the underlying charge. At this point you should contact a local criminal law attorney for further advice. Just know that until you do, the warrant will show up in an employment backgroud check and you can be arrested if you are stopped by the police for something such as speeding, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption