i have a warrant in texas for a dwi and i have to go back there to live but i dont have the same licence they caught me with

UPDATED: May 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i have a warrant in texas for a dwi and i have to go back there to live but i dont have the same licence they caught me with

if the cops stop me will they be able to find out it was me with the warrant

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If they run your name it doesn't matter what state you license was issued in.  You'll be in trouble.  The fact of the matter is that you need to clear this up, you could get arrested and the courts don't look to kindly on this sort of thing.

Depending on how long ago all of this happened and what the exact charge was (there are varying offenses under the DUI law), this might all be cleared up administratively.  That is pay a fine, maybe not even that.  The prosecutor could just decide to drop the charges.

If the incident happened more recently and/or was of a more serious nature (soneone was injured, this was not a first offense) then things may not be as simple for you.

Either way, you need to clear this all up.  Getting stopped for speeding or even an employment background check could turn into a very bad situation for you. 

You need to contact an attorney in the area where the bench warrant was issued. Have him/her help you sort all of this out.  What I can say for sure is that it will be better for you to go to the authorities on your own instead of waiting to get caught, and eventually you will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption