What to do if I have a trust that is for me but it requires 2 signatures?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a trust that is for me but it requires 2 signatures?

I was advised that because my father wrote in here that he is a co-trustee along with my mother that he also had to sign consent on closing the trust. Is this true?

Asked on April 10, 2013 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In order to close a trust, in other words disolve the trust, where you have cotrustees, and they are still alive, then it would take both signatures assuming the trust was revocable; however a cotrustee of an irrevocable trust could file a petition into probate court, with consent of the beneficiaries to close the trust, and the court would probably order the disolving of the trust , unless the cotrustee father could raise a valid objection.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption