I have a ticket that I don’t believe is valid

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a ticket that I don’t believe is valid

I recieved a ticket and nothing is written on
it accept a court date

Asked on April 2, 2019 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First, you must appear for the court date. Failing to appear will NOT dispose of the case and will at a minimum result in getting another court date and having to show up later. You might even have a bench warrent--an arrest warrant--issued for you to ensure you show up.
Second, when you do show, discuss with the prosecutor. If the prosecutor doesn't have any more information, or the information is obvously false (e.g. it's for someone else's car, mistakenly sent to you), it should be dismissed. If the prosecutor does have good information on the ticket, the court date will be rescheduled and the information provided to you, so you can then decide what to do (unless you are given a good plea on the spot and elect to take it).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption