What constitutes official notice by a tenant that they are vacating their apartment?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes official notice by a tenant that they are vacating their apartment?

I have a tenent who wants to vacate the property. Our agreement (signed and notorized) is that 60 days notice be givien. I recently recieved a notice and of course sent him a email stating that he would still owe rent for next month. He sends me a long email about how when we were sending some emails back and forth 2 months ago he gave his notice then. He mentioned moving but did not give a time of when wanted to be out. I did acknowledge that he was needing to move but did not know when he was intending to do so. He claims that the email conversation is his official notice.

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The tenant needs to give a specific date of when he will vacate the premises.  He can't just say something to the effect that he is thinking about moving and might do it sometime in the future.  Almost everyone will probably move sometime in the future.  Without a specific date, you don't know when the apartment will be available for a future tenant.

The lease is a contract between landlord and tenant.  In order to terminate the lease, there has to be a specific date of termination which he didn't provide.  Therefore, he is liable for the rent until he complies with the notice requirements in the lease and vacates the premises. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption