I have a question regarding entering the county on STEM

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a question regarding entering the county on STEM

Hi. I am waiting for my STEM paperwork which will possibly extend my work permit for next 2 years. The problem is my F1 Visa itself expired a year ago. How can I figure out possibility of travel in and out of the country?

Asked on December 11, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Going to your home country and getting a new visa is really the only option at this point, and you are correct that it is very possible that you will not be granted a new visa if you are trying to stay in the US.  Unless your travel plans are really urgent, i would suggest not traveling until you can secure a visa such as H-1B which allows for dual immigrant intent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption