I have a question regarding a pet in a non pet apartment building

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a question regarding a pet in a non pet apartment building

I have a dog in a non pet building and am now being evicted. If I get a doctors note stating that I need my dog because of depression and anxiety, can they still legally evict me?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

That defense has gained a lot of momentum in recent years but how it will hold up in your local courts is hard to say.  Also, there are a lot of issueshere that need to be addressed: did you sign the lease knowing you had a pet?  did you get the pet after you moved in knowingly violating the lease?  How long have you lived there? was the rule put in to effect after you moved in?  What does the lease say specifically?  Go and see an attorney for help with this.  There may be no easy way out.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption