Do I have to report an insurance payment to unemployment?

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to report an insurance payment to unemployment?

I injured myself outside of work. I have a private insurance that I paid a weekly deductible for that pays me in case of injury or sickness. Unfortunately the injury will keep me from returning to the job I had. I will be able to work other jobs just not the position I had. I am now on leave without pay. I have claimed unemployment and am awaiting a decision. Do I have to report my private insurance payment to unemployment?

Asked on March 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

An insurance payment with respect to a personal injury claim is not income per se that needs to be reported to the entity overseeing your EDD. In fact your private insurance that you pay for which you are now receiving benefits for is in and of itself a private annuity that under the law is not deemed income to you.

No, you do not need to report your private insurance pay out to unemployment concerning your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption