I have a prenup and a husband who locked up all the money so I can’t hire an attorney. What should I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a prenup and a husband who locked up all the money so I can’t hire an attorney. What should I do?

I’ve had several consultations with Attorneys but can’t afford the retainer. I’ve
tried family, getting a loan, credit card, etc. Husband hired an attorney who is
already taking advantage of me not having an attorney.

Asked on February 24, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There are a couple of different options:
1.  Get in touch with every legal aid group in your area right now.  Contact the local bar association and district clerk.  The two groups will usually have a list of the non-profit groups and clinics within that county.  These are usually your best resources for free or inexpensive representation....to at least get you started.
2.  Historically, credit companies rarely offer financing for litigation.  However, more credit companies are now offering financing options for litigation...so that you can hire an attorney.
3.   Consider hocking your wedding ring.  I know this hurts, but many good rings will yield a couple of thousand to get someone on board to help you sooner than later.
You definetly need an attorney to assist you with some basic things, including:
a.  determining if hte pre-nup is even valid;
b.  making an application for temporary spousal support;
c.  making an application for temporary attorney fees.
Most pre-nups will have provisions that say you cannot ask for long term spousal support, but most do not have any provisions which prohibit temporary support/fees on a temporary basis...at least until you get back on your feet.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption