How to get a former girlfriend out of my apartment?

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a former girlfriend out of my apartment?

I have a person in my apartment that I have allowed to live with me for 6-7 weeks now. The relationship just ended and I no longer want her to have access to apartment. She is not on the lease. Does she now have authority to enter or can I stop her from entering?

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can't simply lock her out or exclude her yourself. You have to give her notice that she must leave then, if she does not, file an "ejectment action" (similar to an eviction action, but brought against non-tenants who have been living someplace with some right or permission) to get her out. Since she is a guest, not a tenant (not on lease; not paying rent), you don't have to give her any particular amount of notice, though 3 days is typical.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption