What to do if I have a 1 year lease that needs to be broken due to medical reasons?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a 1 year lease that needs to be broken due to medical reasons?

For medical reasons, I need to move to another state (to live in a mental health residential facility).

Asked on December 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, your medical needs do not give you the right to terminate or break your lease early. The lease is a contract between you and the landlord; a contract may not be terminated early by one party because it is to that party's advantage to do so, whether that is because of health reasons, financial needs, etc. You can certainly try and negotiate with your landlord and see if he or she will agree to let you out of the lease early, such as if you pay a month or two early termination fee; but it is voluntary for the landlord to agree to that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption