If I have a mobile home that I am buying financed through the bank that is on a rented lot with a faulty septic system?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a mobile home that I am buying financed through the bank that is on a rented lot with a faulty septic system?

The septic tank is the landlord’s property. It is constantly overflowing and he refuses to fix it. I have been told to contact the health department but I am hesitant to do so for fear of repercussions. What are my options at this point? We literally have sewer water from the septic tank standing in our side yard.

Asked on January 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord has a septic problem on the parcel that you are renting, he or she needs to immediately have it corrected in that it is a serious health issue. I suggest that you call the landlord about the septic problem and the need to have it corrected immediately and follow up the conversation with a written letter. Keep a copy of it for future need and reference.

If the landlord fails to take timely corrective measures, I would contact the local health department and building and permit department for an inspection. If the landlord is cited, he or she will be forced to take corrective measures immediately or face a fine.

If you are penalized as a result, that is unlawful. If that happens contact a landlord tenant attorney as to what needs to be done in response to any improper conduct by the landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption