What to do if I have an 8 year old warrant and want to resolve things but I’m a single mother and can’t afford to take the time off to travel to where it was issued?

UPDATED: Jan 31, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have an 8 year old warrant and want to resolve things but I’m a single mother and can’t afford to take the time off to travel to where it was issued?

Is there a way to resolve this issue via phone I am willing to pay the fine now that I am able? It is for a misdemeanor.

Asked on January 31, 2014 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you know you missed a court appearance or discover a court has issued a warrant against you, you don’t have to wait and wonder when you may be taken into custody. Consult an attorney immediately. Alternatives to going directly to jail may be available to you, such as:

  • The court might allow you to appear at arraignment rather than be taken into custody on the arrest warrant.
  • The court might be willing to schedule a hearing to address a bench warrant before an arrest occurs, or
  • An attorney may be able to arrange for you to turn yourself in at the booking area of the jail rather than be picked up by police.

An attorney will know how to handle an arrest warrant, will know the law in your state or community regarding failure to appear, and can assist and advise you in how to proceed. An attorney also can appear with you at any hearings regarding failure to appear, help you explain why you failed to appear and fight to keep you out of jail.

You ca find an attorney in your locality to assist you on attorneypages.com. If you cannot afford a private attorney contact the local public defender's office or the local legal aid clinic. You cannot resolve the problem with a telephone call.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption