If I have a layaway at a furniture store and have been making payments, what are my rights if the store went out of business?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a layaway at a furniture store and have been making payments, what are my rights if the store went out of business?

I paid $1,100. Spoke with bank liquidator. He said they will not be giving furntiure away for free. The furniture store has your money. I would like to know what could I do to recieve furniture or my money? No one contacted me to notify me of the closure or take or by the bank. Liquidator said that they were contacting people to let them know. I still have not received a call. Tried to call the coroprate office of the furniture store; the line stays busy.

Asked on November 18, 2011 under General Practice, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were making payments for some furniture on a "lay away" plan and the store is now going out of business where you have been unsuccessful in making contact with the store's owners about getting a refund of your money paid to date since you have not received the furniture you are paying for over time, you have the following options:

1. have the bank liquidator hold the furniture you are making payments on and make a written agreement with the bank liquidator that you will get the furniture in exchange for payments to the bank liquidator in the future.

2. file a small claims court action immediately against the business that has your $1,100.00 seeking its return.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption