If I have a land contract and my tenants have stopped paying the payment, can I serve them an eviction notice?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a land contract and my tenants have stopped paying the payment, can I serve them an eviction notice?

I am not even sure that they recorded the contract with the county. Please advise me of my options. We have had this contract for 7 months. They are now breaking the windows in this home.

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your tenants have stopped paying rent on the unit you have and are damaging it, you should immediately serve them with a thirty (30) day notice of termination of their lease and get ready to file an unlawful detainer action if they do not vacate within the thirty (30) days of service.

I suggest that you retain a landlord tenant attorney to assist you and give them twenty-four hour notice for a walk through with another person attending to take photos of the property for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption