If my landlord has a judgement against me and want to I appeal it, how doI go about that?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord has a judgement against me and want to I appeal it, how doI go about that?

Asked on August 3, 2011 New Mexico


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you can appeal the judgment that the landlord has against you depends on how old it is. If the judgment is a small claims court judgment, most states require an appeal within 30 days of notice of the judgment. If not done within that time period, any appeal would be untimely.

If the judgment is in a superior court action where the amount in controversy exceeds the maximum amount that one can have in the small claims court, the typical time period to file an appeal within sixty days after notice of entry of the judgement.

In your situation, if you just received the notice of entry of the judgment, you need to go down immediately to the court clerk and file your notice of appeal to protect your rights. If you have known about this judgment for several months, most likely the time to appeal the judgment has passed.

You should immediately consult with an attorney about your situation.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption