If I have a joint bank account with a deceased parent, who gets it when I die?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a joint bank account with a deceased parent, who gets it when I die?

My son is the beneficiary; my wife is the personal representative in my Will with full Power of Attorney. Upon my death does any money in the account go to my son with the proper documents presented, or does the account fall under the control of my personal representative (my wife)?

Asked on August 21, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your son is the named beneficiary of the bank account with the bank, then the account will pass to your son as a non-probate asset.  It would not be controlled by your wife.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption