Can the state widen a road that has anan easement and move power lines in my yard without any compensation to me?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the state widen a road that has anan easement and move power lines in my yard without any compensation to me?

The state is going to widen a road and this will put the road 30 ft from my house and make the value 1/2. They have a 40 ft easement.

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In order to answer your question, you need to carefully read the written easement that burdens your property as to the scope of it as well as its width. The written easement will control what the state can do with respect to your property and the placement of power lines that you are writing about.

Given the fact that your property interests can be devlaued as a result of the easement that you are writing about, it is suggested that you consult with an experienced real estate attorney in the area of easements to assist you further with respect to the question that you write about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption