If I want to marry a girl from Brasil, what is the best way to do this?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I want to marry a girl from Brasil, what is the best way to do this?

Me going there to do a fiancé visa? Or have her be a exchange student to have her come here to the united states, then marry her? What is less expensive? And which is the fastest? And is it legal to marry someone with a tourist visa?

Asked on June 11, 2014 under Immigration Law, Utah


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

THe fiancee visa route will take about 9-12 months from start to finish, provided you have met in person and have the intention to marry.  The tourist visa, if she can get one, is another way for her to come to the US but you will have to strategize the timing of the marriage and the subsequent filing so that it does not look like she had the intention to misrepresent her purpose at the time of entry.  The costs will be about the same.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption