If I have a default judgment against a property, now what?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a default judgment against a property, now what?

We are a contracting company that did service and product work in Iowa but did not get paid a sum of $55K. We have since sucessfully obtained a default judgment (we went through the necassary steps with a mechanics lien against the real estate parcel, etc, defendant never answered or showed). Being a non iowa company, we have been unable to find an attorney to finish it through. What are my options in collecting the money? We have tried to settle but have been unsuccessful.

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a $55,000 default judgment with respect to an Iowa lawsuit and do not know where to go from there, I suggest that you contact the county bar association where the lawsuit is filed and ask for three (3) to four (4) referrals as to attorneys that do debt collection work. From there you can interview the attorneys and decide how you want to proceed. You will need to file an abstract of judgment and record such and then begin the levy process.

The $55,000 judgment will accrue interest on it from the time of entry of the judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption