If I have a collection account on my credit report for medical services provided to my now ex-husband, am I responsible?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a collection account on my credit report for medical services provided to my now ex-husband, am I responsible?

The services provided were ambulance services. I did not call for the service, the local police department did. We were still married at the time these services were provided. The collection agency states I am a “co-signer”. Do I owe for this service or do I have the legal right to have it removed from my credit reports?

Asked on July 27, 2011 Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In many states in this country, the marital community is obligated for the debts of the community. Meaning your share of the community assest are responsible for one half of the marriage's liabilities. If the ambulance services for your former husband arose when you were married and living with him, then you would be responsible for a portion of the expenses.

Do you have a marital settlement agreement with your former husband? If so, the division of liabilities and assets should be set out in the agreement. If so, then it needs to be honored.

You should speak with your former husband about the bill for ambulance services and how it is to be resolved under any written marital settlement agreement and if there is none, reach an accord with him as to how much is paid by each of you to get the unpaid obligation removed from your credit report.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption