What can I do if have a client who has just refused to pay for a website that was recently completed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if have a client who has just refused to pay for a website that was recently completed?

I do not have a signed contract with them but have been working closely with them for months on every detail of their site. With in the last 2 months they started communicating less but did send over a list of changes and even added new items to the site their team wanted. Once completed a month goes by no work but I was still sending emails and invoice reminders. Just yesterday the Pastor, yes Pastor writes and says the site does not fit their identity but thanks for trying… They are still obligated to pay and additional $500. What can I do?

Asked on December 3, 2015 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them: when you do work for someone and they don't pay you, the way you get your money is by a lawsuit. You would sue for breach of (oral, or unwritten) contract--that is, not honoring the agreement between you. For $500, suing in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") is a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption