What canI doif my employment contract is being violated?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI doif my employment contract is being violated?

I have a cleaning company. I am under contract with this organization. I have recently found out that they have hired another company behind my back. This is taking work and money away from me. Do I have a case here?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A contract is enforceable; if one party to a contract is violating or breaching it, the other party may bring a lawsuit (sue) for either monetary compensation and/or for a court order forcing the first party to comply with the contract. (The only way to enforce a contract is by suing.)

However, check what the contract says--only the actual terms of the contract, not you think it says or should say, is enforceable. So if the contract does not prevent them from hiring another company or giving work to someone else, for example, they may do this. If in doubt, bring the contract to an attorney to review.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption