What to do to clear my record if I have a class B misdemeanor theft conviction from 20 years ago?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do to clear my record if I have a class B misdemeanor theft conviction from 20 years ago?

I pled no contest at the time. I believe it was filed the wrong way because I was charged with a total cost of what me and an acquaintance had. I had $10 worth of stuff and he had $15 worth of stuff. We both got charged with $25 worth of stuff. Is there any way to re-open this case? If so, what is the procedure? If not, what can I do so this will not haunt me for any future licenses or employment?

Asked on June 3, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Texas law gives only specific instances to allow for expungement of a criminal record. You do not say if you were a juvenile and that will matter.  If you were not then you may not be able to expunge from the facts that you have written here.  But, If you pled no contest to any offense other than a Class C misdemeanor and you successfully completed deferred adjudication community supervision, you may petition for a court order of nondisclosure. An order of nondisclosure will seal your criminal record. Certain criminal justice agencies will then be prevented from disclosing your criminal history record information to the public. (Texas Government Code § 411.081.).  Please go and see a Texas lawyer in person and give him or her all the facts.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption