If I have a car that belonged to my mother-in-law who passed away over 1 1/2 years ago, what can I legally do with it?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a car that belonged to my mother-in-law who passed away over 1 1/2 years ago, what can I legally do with it?

The car was titled in her name. She did not have a Will. Surviving family members have not claimed the car. The vehicle has been in the same spot in drive way since the date indicated above. It has never moved.

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You have the following options concerning your deceased mother-in-law's car as to its disposal:

1. sell it to a third party via written bill of sale advising the buyer that it will be his or her obligation to get registered title to it into his or her name;

2. donate it to a charitable organization. However the amount of the donation for tax purposes will be its ultimate sales price;

3. sell it to a scrap yard;

4. use it as an alternate vehicle;

5. contact your local department of motor vehicles regarding the easiest way to transfer registered ownership of it to you or someone else. Going through the time and expense of a probate for some vehicle to transfer title to it does not make much economic sense if it is not worth much.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption