If I have a 6 degree larceny charge pending court date, do I need a lawyer to be present?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a 6 degree larceny charge pending court date, do I need a lawyer to be present?

If found guilty, do I have to do time, pay a fine and/or will they notify my employer?

I received a summons/ ticket for this incident 6 degree larceny. This is my first offense.

Asked on February 22, 2017 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since this is a criminal charge, a misdemeanor, you would be well advised to retain legal counsel. If convicted there can be serious consequences regading employment, rental housing, student loans, etc. With an experienced criminal defense attorney you may be able to get your charges dismissed. Additionally, for a first offense larceny charge, it is often possible to get the charge dropped in exchange for restitution and commuity service, which would mean that you would have no criminal record. In fact if you get "Accelerated Rehabilitation" you to be put on probation and have the charges dropped from your record after 13 months, assuming that you don’t commit any additional offenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption