What to do if I have 2 roommates who have only lived here for a couple of months and now I want them to leave?

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have 2 roommates who have only lived here for a couple of months and now I want them to leave?

However, I also don’t want to be evicted. They haven’t paid me rent for the coming month and they have caused a lot of problems. How do I get them out with out being evicted? They are not on the lease.

Asked on July 2, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If these 2 were on the lease, then only your landlord could evict them. However, if the lease is solely in your name, then your roommates are essentially your subtenants which makes you their sublandlord, accordingly you have the right to evict them.

For more information, here is a link to a site that I think you will find to be of help:


As to whether or not you will be evicted by your landlord depends on whether or not your landlord even finds out about this situation in the first place. If they do, then the question becomes, did you break your lease by having these 2 roommates in your apartment.

For further advise you can directly contact an attorney who specializes in these cases, a tenants's rights group, legal aid, or see if there is a law school clinic nearby (law schools typically run free/low cost clinics that handle such cases).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption